- •We report 2 adolescents with CF who attempted suicide shortly after starting ETI.
- •Mental adverse effects of CFTR modulators were reported in previous studies.
- •Impact of chronic disease and the COVID-19 pandemic are likely contributing factors.
- •Providers should be vigilant of mental health issues in adolescent with CF on ETI.
- •Mental health screening should be performed regularly after initiation of ETI therapy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
- International committee on mental health in cystic fibrosis: cystic fibrosis foundation and european cystic fibrosis society consensus statements for screening and treating depression and anxiety.Thorax. 2016; 71: 26-34
- The impact of COVID-19 shielding on the wellbeing, mental health and treatment adherence of adults with cystic fibrosis.Future Healthc J. 2021; 8: e47-e49
- Mental health, substance use, and suicidal ideation during the COVID-19 pandemic - United States, June 24-30, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 1049-1057
- Impact of COVID-19 on mental health: effects on screening, care delivery, and people with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: 31-38
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry 2020 Annual Data Report. 2020 [cited 2022 June 14]; Available from: https://www.cff.org/sites/default/files/2021-11/Patient-Registry-Annual-Data-Report.pdf.
FDA. FDA approves new breakthrough therapy for cystic fibrosis. 2019 [cited 2022 June 14]; Available from: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-breakthrough-therapy-cystic-fibrosis.
- Real-World Safety of CFTR Modulators in the Treatment of Cystic Fibrosis: a Systematic Review.J Clin Med. 2020; 10
- The patient health questionnaire for adolescents: validation of an instrument for the assessment of mental disorders among adolescent primary care patients.J Adolesc Health. 2002; 30: 196-204
- Expression and distribution of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in neurons of the human brain.J Histochem Cytochem. 2009; 57: 1113-1120
- Dose adjustments of Elexacaftor/Tezacaftor/Ivacaftor in response to mental health side effects in adults with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2022;
- Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys.Lancet. 2007; 370: 851-858
- Prevalence and impact of depression in cystic fibrosis.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2008; 14: 582-588
- The association between depression, lung function, and health-related quality of life among adults with cystic fibrosis.Chest. 2007; 132: 231-237
- Psychological factors affecting disease activity in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis: medical adherence as a mediator.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2007; 19: 553-558
- Depression, illness severity, and healthcare utilization in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014; 49: 1177-1181
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry 2019 Annual Data Report. 2019 [cited 2022 June 14]; Available from: https://www.cff.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/2019-Patient-Registry-Annual-Data-Report.pdf.
- Suicide Risk in Adolescents During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Pediatrics. 2022; 149
Organization, W.H. Mental Health and COVID-19: early evidence of the pandemic's impact: scientific brief. 2022 [cited 2022 June 14]; Available from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-Sci_Brief-Mental_health-2022.1.
Brunier, A. COVID-19 pandemic triggers 25% increase in prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide: wake-up call to all countries to step up mental health services and support, in World Health Organization News. 2022 [cited 2022 November 21]; Available from: https://www.who.int/news/item/02-03-2022-covid-19-pandemic-triggers-25-increase-in-prevalence-of-anxiety-and-depression-worldwide.
- The impact of COVID-19 lockdown on child and adolescent mental health: systematic review.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2021;
- Efficacy and safety of elexacaftor plus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor versus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor in people with cystic fibrosis homozygous for F508del-CFTR: a 24-week, multicentre, randomised, double-blind, active-controlled, phase 3b trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2022; 10: 267-277
- Mental status changes during elexacaftor/tezacaftor /ivacaftor therapy.J Cyst Fibros. 2022; 21: 339-343
- Elexacaftor-tezacaftor-ivacaftor overdose in an adolescent female with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2022; 57: 3174-3176
- Triple therapy for cystic fibrosis Phe508del-gating and -residual function genotypes.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 815-825
- Lived experiences of individuals with cystic fibrosis on CFTR-modulators.BMC Pulm Med. 2022; 22: 42
- Mental health implications of genetic modulator therapy in CF: depression and anxiety screening for pediatric patients prescribed elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivactor during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; : S142-S143