- •The burden of drug interactions in CF will increase with CFTR modulators.
- •Trikafta®/Kaftrio® (3 CFTR modulators) has many significant drug interactions.
- •Dose adjustments, avoiding some combinations and monitoring are often required.
- •Evidence gaps: theoretical interactions, clinical significance, management efficacy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1891-1904
- Elexacaftor-tezacaftor-ivacaftor for cystic fibrosis with a single Phe508del Allele.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1809-1819
- State of the art on approved cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) modulators and triple-combination therapy.Pharmaceuticals. 2021; 14: 928https://doi.org/10.3390/ph14090928
TRIKAFTA® (elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor and ivacaftor)[product monograph]. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: 2023;Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Canada) Inc.
European Medicines Agency. Kaftrio [Available from: 2023; https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/kaftrio-epar-product-information_en.pdf.
- Efficacy and safety of the elexacaftor plus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor combination regimen in people with cystic fibrosis homozygous for the F508del mutation: a double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1940-1948
- Triple therapy for cystic fibrosis Phe508del-gating and -residual function genotypes.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385 (reply): 2208
- A phase 3 open-label study of elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor in children 6 through 11 years of age with cystic fibrosis and at least one F508del allele.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 203: 1522-1532
- Sweat chloride as a biomarker of CFTR activity: proof of concept and ivacaftor clinical trial data.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13: 139-147
- Clinical practice guidelines on G, et al. evidence-based practice recommendations for nutrition-related management of children and adults with cystic fibrosis and pancreatic insufficiency: results of a systematic review.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 832-839
- Cystic fibrosis: triple therapy shows promising results.BMJ. 2019; 367: l6347
- Basic review of the cytochrome p450 system.J Adv Pract Oncol. 2013; 4: 263-268
- Transporter-mediated drug-drug interactions.Pharmacogenomics. 2011; 12: 1017-1037
Agency EM. Kaftrio(R) [Available from:2023;https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/assessment-report/kaftrio-epar-public-assessment-report_en.pdf.
- Drug-drug interactions between ivacaftor and midazolam or rosiglitazone in healthy volunteers.J Cystic Fibros. 2012; 11 (SUPPL): S67
- The effect of ciprofloxacin, itraconazole, and rifampin on the pharmacokinetics of lumacaftor in combination with ivacaftor in healthy individuals.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014; 49 (SUPPL): 286-287
- Evaluation of the drug-drug interaction potential of rifabutin and elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor using a physiologically based pharmacokinetic simulation approach.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55 (SUPPL): 244
- Metabolomic description of ivacaftor elevating polymyxin B mediated antibacterial activity in cystic fibrosis pseudomonas aeruginosa.ACS Pharmacol Transl Sci. 2020; 3: 433-443
- Chronic beta2AR stimulation limits CFTR activation in human airway epithelia.JCI Insight. 2018; 3e93029https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.93029
- Ivacaftor, a cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator potentiator, enhances ciprofloxacin activity against pseudomonas aeruginosa.Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2019; 33: 129-136
- Pharmacokinetic and drug-drug interaction profiles of the combination of Tezacaftor/Ivacaftor.Clin Transl Sci. 2019; 12: 267-275
- Sensitivity of ivacaftor to drug-drug interactions with rifampin, a cytochrome P450 3A4 inducer.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2018; 53: E6-E8
- Ivacaftor therapy in siblings with cystic fibrosis-the potential implications of Itraconazole in dosage and efficacy.Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2015; 31: 49-50
- Physiologically-based pharmacokinetic-led guidance for patients with cystic fibrosis taking elexacaftor-tezacaftor-ivacaftor with nirmatrelvir-ritonavir for the treatment of COVID-19.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2022; 111: 1324-1333
- The pharmacokinetic interaction between ivacaftor and ritonavir in healthy volunteers.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 83: 2235-2241
- Antibacterial properties of the CFTR potentiator ivacaftor.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13: 515-519
- Clinical drug-drug interaction assessment of ivacaftor as a potential inhibitor of cytochrome P450 and P-glycoprotein.J Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 55: 56-62
- Pharmacokinetic interactions between ivacaftor and cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibitors in people with cystic fibrosis and healthy controls.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: e72-e76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2021.04.005
- Epub 2021 May 15. PMID: 34006500.
- Testing the face validity and inter-rater agreement of a simple approach to drug-drug interaction evidence assessment.J Biomed Inform. 2020; 101103355
- Consensus recommendations for systematic evaluation of drug-drug interaction evidence for clinical decision support.Drug Saf. 2015; 38: 197-206
Contreary C.G., Seay J.E. Trikafta overdose in an adolescent female with cystic fibrosis: a case report 2021 [June 30, 2022]. Available from: https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/internal_medicine/docs/January_2021_Poster_Session/Abstracts/jessica_seay_abstract.pdf.