- •Two-thirds of people with CF in the United States experience debt, food insecurity, or housing issues
- •People with CF at lower income levels are at higher risk of financial burden
- •High rates of financial burden exist despite low rates of uninsurance.
- •People covered by Medicare and Medicaid (known as dual-eligibles) are especially vulnerable to financial burdens.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
- The future of cystic fibrosis care: a global perspective.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8 ([Internet] Jan 1 [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 65-124
- Improving chronic care delivery and outcomes: the impact of the cystic fibrosis care center network.BMJ Qual Saf. 2014; 23 ([Internet] [cited 2022 Jan 25]. Available from): i3-8
- Cystic fibrosis: priorities and progress for future therapies.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2017; 24 ([Internet] Sep 1 [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 14-16
- Adults with cystic fibrosis - responding to a new ageing population.Chronic Illn. 2013; 9 ([Internet] Dec [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 312-319
- Background and epidemiology.Pediatr Clin N Am. 2016; 63 ([Internet] Aug 1 [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 567-584
- Socio-economic burden of rare diseases: a systematic review of cost of illness evidence.Health Policy. 2015; 119 ([Internet] Jul 1 [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 964-979
- Prevalence and correlates of medical financial hardship in the USA.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34 ([Internet] Aug 15 [cited 2022 Jan 25] Available from): 1494-1502
Seyoum S., Regenstein M., Nolan L. Risk indicators of food insecurity in the CF population. Health Policy and Management Issue Briefs [Internet]. Unpublished results. [cited 2022 Jan 25]; Available from: https://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/sphhs_policy_briefs/59.
Seyoum S., Regenstein M., Nolan L. Cost, coverage, and the underuse of medications among people with CF. Health Policy and Management Issue Briefs [Internet]. Unpublished results. [cited 2022 Jan 25]; Available from: https://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/sphhs_policy_briefs/57.
- Changes in financial burdens for health care.JAMA. 2006; 296 ([Internet] Dec 13 Available from): 2712
- Americans’ Challenges with Health Care Costs.KFF, 2022 ([Internet] [cited 2022 Jul 29]. Available from)
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Healthy people 2030, Social Determinants of Health [Internet]. [cited 2021 Dec 19]. Available from: https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/social-determinants-health.
- Risk factors for cystic fibrosis arthropathy: data from the German cystic fibrosis registry.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20 ([Internet] Nov [cited 2022 Jan 12] Available from): e87-e92
- Socioeconomic status and health outcomes: cystic fibrosis as a model.Expert Rev Respir Med. 2016; 10 ([Internet] Sep 9 [cited 2021 Dec 19] Available from): 967-977
- Associations between demographic characteristics and unmet supportive care needs in adults with cystic fibrosis.BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2019; ([Internet] Aug 31 [cited 2022 Jan 12]; bmjspcare-2019-001819 Available from)
- The association of socioeconomic status with outcomes in cystic fibrosis patients in the United States.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001; 163 ([Internet] May 14 [cited 2022 Jan 12] Available from): 1331-1337
- Evaluation of food insecurity in adults and children with cystic fibrosis: community case study.Front Public Health. 2018; 6 ([Internet] Nov 26 Available from): 348
- Current population survey (CPS).US Census Bureau, 2022 ([Internet] [cited Jan 26] Available from)
- National health interview survey.National Health Interview Survey, 2019 (2018 [Internet] [cited 2022 Jul 28] Available from)
- The commonwealth fund 2018 biennial health insurance survey.SSRS, 2018 ([Internet] [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from:)https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/surveys/2019/feb/2018-biennial-health-insurance-survey
Hamel L., Norton M., Pollitz K., Levitt L., Claxton G., Brodie M. The burden of medical debt: results from the kaiser family foundation/New York Times medical bills survey [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from: https://www.kff.org/health-costs/report/the-burden-of-medical-debt-results-from-the-kaiser-family-foundationnew-york-times-medical-bills-survey/view/print/.
- Definitions of food security.U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, 2021 ([Internet] Sep [cited 2021 Dec 19]. Available from)https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspx
- Measures of financial hardship from health care expenses among families with a member with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in the US.JAMA Health Forum. 2022; 3 ([Internet] Jul 22 Available from)e221962
- Financial burdens and barriers to care among nonelderly adults with heart disease: 2010–2015.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8 ([Internet] Dec 17 [cited 2022 Jul 30] Available from)
- Insurance coverage and financial burden for families of children with special health care needs.Ambul Pediatr. 2006; 6 ([Internet] Jul Available from): 204-209
- Burden and consequences of financial hardship from medical bills among nonelderly adults with diabetes mellitus in the United States.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2020; 13 ([Internet] Feb [cited 2022 Jul 30] Available from)
- Predictors of delayed or forgone needed health care for families with children.Pediatrics. 2012; 130 ([Internet] Dec 1 Available from): 1027-1037https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/article/130/6/1027/30328/Predictors-of-Delayed-or-Forgone-Needed-Health
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry 2019 ANNUAL DATA REPORT.Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2019 ([Internet] [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from:)
- Calibrating survey data using iterative proportional fitting (raking).Stata J. 2014; 14: 22-59
U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. Key statistics & graphics [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from: https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-u-s/key-statistics-graphics/.
Social Security Administration. Understanding SSI - SSI work incentives [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-work-ussi.htm.
- Income and asset limits for SSI disability eligibility.Nolo, 2021 ([Internet] [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from)
- How much can you work while receiving ssi disability benefits?.Nolo, 2021 (| Nolo [Internet] [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from)https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-much-can-you-work-while-receiving-ssi-disability-benefits.html
Nolan L., Seyoum S., Wilson J., Regenstein M. Non-elderly adults on disability in the CF population. Health Policy and Management Issue Briefs [Internet]. Unpublished results. [cited 2022 Jan 26]; Available from: https://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/sphhs_policy_briefs/62.