- •CF pulmonary exacerbations (PEx) were clustered into 3 distinct groups based on blood inflammation.
- •Neutrophil-predominant PEx events presented with shorter onset of symptoms and larger drop in lung function.
- •Pauci-inflammatory PEx events presented with longer onset of symptoms and a lower rate of lung function recovery after IV antibiotics.
Adults with cystic fibrosis (CF) develop exuberant inflammatory responses during pulmonary exacerbations (PEx) but whether distinct systemic inflammatory profiles can be identified and whether these associate with disparate treatment outcomes are unclear. We conducted a pilot study to address this question and hypothesized that CF adults with a pauci-inflammatory phenotype might derive less clinical benefit from intravenous (IV) antibiotic treatment than patients with other systemic inflammatory phenotypes.
Six proteins reflective of systemic inflammation were examined in 37 PEx from 28 unique CF subjects. We applied exploratory factor analysis and cluster analysis to identify biological clusters. Levels of blood proteins at PEx and clinical outcomes following IV antibiotic treatment were compared between clusters.
Three clusters of PEx were identified. The pauci-inflammatory phenotype was characterized by lower levels of interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6, IL-10, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, calprotectin, and C-reactive protein (CRP) (p < 0.05). Higher levels of IL-6 and IL-1β were observed in the other 2 inflammatory clusters, but one of them was associated with higher calprotectin levels (p = 0.001) (neutrophil-predominant phenotype); whereas the other was associated with increased TNF-α and IL-10 levels (p < 0.001) (pro-inflammatory phenotype). A greater proportion of events from the neutrophil-predominant phenotype presented with acute respiratory symptoms and a larger decrease in ppFEV1 from baseline to hospital admission than the other two inflammatory phenotypes (p = 0.03).
Three distinct inflammatory phenotypes were identified at PEx admission and each presented with unique clinical characteristics.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Predictive 5-year survivorship model of cystic fibrosis.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 345-352
- Exacerbations in cystic fibrosis. 1: epidemiology and pathogenesis.Thorax. 2007; 62: 360-367
- Pulmonary exacerbation: towards a definition for use in clinical trials. Report from the EuroCareCF Working Group on outcome parameters in clinical trials.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2011; 10: S79-S81
- Antibiotic management of lung infections in cystic fibrosis. I. the microbiome, methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, gram-negative bacteria, and multiple infections. 11. Ann Am Thorac Soc, 2014: 1120-1129
- Defining antimicrobial resistance in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 696-704
- Antimicrobial resistance in cystic fibrosis: a Delphi approach to defining best practices.J Cyst Fibros. 2020; 19: 370-375
- Acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: identification of biologic clusters and their biomarkers.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 662-671
- Hyperinflation in COPD exacerbations.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: e43-e44
- Sputum inflammatory cell-based classification of patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e57678
- Paucigranulocytic asthma: uncoupling of airway obstruction from inflammation.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019; 143: 1287-1294
- Acute pulmonary exacerbation phenotypes in patients with cystic fibrosis.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2022
- To exclude or not to exclude: considerations and recommendations for c-reactive protein values higher than 10 mg/L.Brain Behav Immun. 2020; 87: 898-900
- To assess, to control, to exclude: effects of biobehavioral factors on circulating inflammatory markers.Brain Behav Immun. 2009; 23: 887-897
- Standardized Treatment of Pulmonary Exacerbations (STOP) study: observations at the initiation of intravenous antibiotics for cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbations.J Cyst Fibros. 2017; 16: 592-599
Cystic Fibrosis Respiratory Symptom Diary (CFRSD) including the Chronic Respiratory Infection Symptom Scale (CRISS) user manual U.S. version 2.0. 2016.
- Lung function changes before and after pulmonary exacerbation antimicrobial treatment in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 828-834
- Exploratory factor analysis: a five-step guide for novices.Australasian J Paramed. 2010; 8
- Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis: understanding concepts and applications.American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, US2004 (x, 195-x, p)
Brock G., Pihur V., Datta S., Datta S. clValid: an R Package for Cluster Validation. 2008. 2008;25(4):22.
- Heterogeneity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations: a two-axes classification proposal.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: 729-734
- Whole blood gene expression profiling predicts severe morbidity and mortality in cystic fibrosis: a 5-Year follow-up study. 15. Ann Am Thorac Soc, 2018: 589-598
- Personalized treatment options for chronic diseases using precision cohort analytics.Sci Rep. 2021; 11
- Evolution and impact of bacterial drug resistance in the context of cystic fibrosis disease and nosocomial settings.Microbiol Insights. 2013; 6: 29-36
- Accurate Assessment of Adherence Self-Report and Clinician Report vs Electronic Monitoring of Nebulizers.Chest. 2011; 140: 425-432
- Longitudinal association between medication adherence and lung health in people with cystic fibrosis.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2011; 10: 258-264
- Effect of pulmonary exacerbations treated with oral antibiotics on clinical outcomes in cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2017; 72: 327-332
- Measurement of serum calprotectin in stable patients predicts exacerbation and lung function decline in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 233-236
- Proteomic profiling to identify blood biomarkers predictive of response to azithromycin in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis.Chest. 2019; 156: 667-673
- IL-10: the master regulator of immunity to infection.J Immunol. 2008; 180: 5771-5777
- TNF biology, pathogenic mechanisms and emerging therapeutic strategies.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2016; 12: 49-62
- Doxycycline improves clinical outcomes during cystic fibrosis exacerbations.Eur Respir J. 2017; 49
- Standardized Treatment of Pulmonary Exacerbations (STOP) study: physician treatment practices and outcomes for individuals with cystic fibrosis with pulmonary Exacerbations.J Cyst Fibros. 2017; 16: 600-606
Published online: December 25, 2022
Accepted: December 20, 2022
Received in revised form: December 6, 2022
Received: August 2, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 European Cystic Fibrosis Society. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.