- •Structural and functional MP-MRI, LCI and FEV1 were compared after ETI treatment.
- •Ventilation and perfusion impairment assessed by MP-MRI improved upon ETI therapy.
- •MP-MRI adds information on ETI treatment effects complementary to FEV1 and LCI.
- •MP-MRI is a suitable and sensitive tool to monitor CFTR-modulator treatment effects.
With improvement in supportive therapies and the introduction of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR)-modulator treatment in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF), milder disease courses are expected. Therefore, sensitive parameters are needed to monitor disease course and effects of CFTR-modulators. Functional lung MRI using matrix-pencil decomposition (MP-MRI) is a promising tool for assessing ventilation and perfusion quantitatively. This study aimed to assess the treatment effect of elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor combination regimen (ELX/TEZ/IVA) on measures of structural and functional lung abnormalities.
24 children with CF underwent lung function tests (multiple breath washout, spirometry), functional and structural MRI twice (one year apart) before and once after at least two weeks (mean 4.7 ± 2.6 months) on ELX/TEZ/IVA. Main outcomes were changes (Δ) upon ELX/TEZ/IVA in lung function, defect percentage of ventilation (VDP) and perfusion (QDP), defect distribution index of ventilation and perfusion (DDIV, DDIQ), and Eichinger score. Statistical analyses were performed using paired t-tests and multilevel regression models with bootstrapping.
We observed a significant improvement in lung function, structural and functional MRI parameters upon ELX/TEZ/IVA treatment (mean; 95%-CI): ΔLCI2.5 (TO) -0.84 (-1.62 to -0.06); ΔFEV1 (z-score) 1.05 (0.56 to 1.55); ΔVDP (% of impairment) -6.00 (-8.44 to -3.55); ΔQDP (% of impairment) -3.90 (-5.90 to -1.90); ΔDDIV -1.38 (-2.22 to -0.53); ΔDDIQ -0.31 (-0.73 to 0.12); ΔEichinger score -3.89 (-5.05 to -2.72).
Besides lung function tests, functional and structural MRI is a suitable tool to monitor treatment response of ELX/TEZ/IVA therapy, and seems promising as outcome marker in the future.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry, Annual Data Report 2020, in Bethesda, Maryland ©2021 Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 2020.
- Disease-modifying drug therapy in cystic fibrosis.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2018; 26: 7-9
- Corrector therapies (with or without potentiators) for people with cystic fibrosis with class II CFTR gene variants (most commonly F508del).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 12Cd010966
- Safety and Efficacy of Elexacaftor/Tezacaftor/Ivacaftor for 24 Weeks or Longer in People with Cystic Fibrosis and One or More F508del Alleles: interim Results of an Open-Label Phase 3 Clinical Trial.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 203: 381-385
- Efficacy and safety of the elexacaftor plus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor combination regimen in people with cystic fibrosis homozygous for the F508del mutation: a double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1940-1948
- Elexacaftor–Tezacaftor–Ivacaftor for Cystic Fibrosis with a Single Phe508del Allele.New England Journal of Medicine. 2019; 381: 1809-1819
- Matrix pencil decomposition of time-resolved proton MRI for robust and improved assessment of pulmonary ventilation and perfusion.Magn Reson Med. 2017; 77: 336-342
- Defect distribution index: a novel metric for functional lung MRI in cystic fibrosis.Magn Reson Med. 2021; 86 (Dec): 3224-3235
- Ventilation and perfusion assessed by functional MRI in children with CF: reproducibility in comparison to lung function.J Cyst Fibros. 2019; 18: 543-550
- Using chest CT scan and unsupervised machine learning for predicting and evaluating response to lumacaftor-ivacaftor in people with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2021; 2101344
- Effects of Lumacaftor–Ivacaftor on Lung Clearance Index, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and Airway Microbiome in Phe508del Homozygous Patients with Cystic Fibrosis.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2021; 18: 971-980
- Use of hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI to assess response to ivacaftor treatment in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2017; 16: 267-274
- Magnetic resonance imaging detects improvements of pulmonary and paranasal sinus abnormalities in response to elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor therapy in adults with cystic fibrosis.Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. 2022; 21 (Nov): 1053-1060
- Effects of Elexacaftor/Tezacaftor/Ivacaftor Therapy on Lung Clearance Index and Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Patients with Cystic Fibrosis and One or Two F508del Alleles.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022; 205: 540-549
- How Should the Effects of CFTR Modulator Therapy on Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease be Monitored?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022; 206: 240-242
- Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis: consensus Guidelines from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.J Pediatr. 2017; 181s (e1): S4-S15
- Consensus statement for inert gas washout measurement using multiple- and single- breath tests.European Respiratory Journal. 2013; 41: 507-522
- Correction of sensor crosstalk error in Exhalyzer D multiple-breath washout device significantly impacts outcomes in children with cystic fibrosis.J Appl Physiol. 1985; 131 (2021): 1148-1156
- Longitudinal course of clinical lung clearance index in children with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2021; 58
- Normative multiple breath washout data in school-aged children corrected for sensor error.Eur Respi J. 2022; 602102398
- Standardization of Spirometry 2019 Update. An Official American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society Technical Statement.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2019; 200: e70-e88
- Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3–95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.European Respiratory Journal. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- Ultra-fast Steady-State Free Precession Pulse Sequence for Fourier Decomposition Pulmonary MRI.Magn Reson Med. 2016; 75: 1647-1653
- The impact of segmentation on whole-lung functional MRI quantification: repeatability and reproducibility from multiple human observers and an artificial neural network.Magn Reson Med. 2021; 85: 1079-1092
- Novel magnetic resonance technique for functional imaging of cystic fibrosis lung disease.Eur Respir J. 2017; 50
- Morphologic and functional scoring of cystic fibrosis lung disease using MRI.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 1321-1329
- Structural and Functional Lung Impairment in Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia. Assessment with Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Multiple Breath Washout in Comparison to Spirometry.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15: 1434-1442
- . 2022; 60 (2103112)
- doi:10.1183/13993003.03112-2021. Print 2022 Nov.
- The Clinical Use of Lung MRI in Cystic Fibrosis: what, Now, How?.Chest. 2021; 159: 2205-2217
- Current state of the art MRI for the longitudinal assessment of cystic fibrosis.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2020; 52: 1306-1320
- Bootstrap confidence intervals.Statist. Sci. 1996; 11 (August): 189-228
- Tribulations and (clinical) trials in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: 188-190
- A Phase 3, open-label, 96-week trial to study the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of tezacaftor/ivacaftor in children ≥ 6 years of age homozygous for F508del or heterozygous for F508del and a residual function CFTR variant.J Cyst Fibros. 2022;
Published online: January 10, 2023
Accepted: December 20, 2022
Received in revised form: December 7, 2022
Received: August 3, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of European Cystic Fibrosis Society.