- •In randomized controlled trials that used the Lung Clearance Index as an outcome, there is a discordance between planned sample size required to observe statistically significant treatment effects and the magnitude of the treatment effects that are observed.
- •Large improvements in Lung Clearance Index for a few individuals can influence the interpretation of the effect size and may bias prospective sample size calculations.
- •Lung clearance index requires as little as 1/3 of the total sample size to detect equivalent changes with spirometry endpoints such as forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1).
Abbreviations:LCI (Lung Clearance Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Projecting the impact of delayed access to elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor for people with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2020.07.017
- Cystic fibrosis drug trial design in the era of CFTR modulators associated with substantial clinical benefit: stakeholders’ consensus view.J Cyst Fibros. 2020; 19: 688-695https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2020.05.012
- The changing epidemiology and demography of cystic fibrosis.Presse Med. 2017; 46: e87-e95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lpm.2017.04.012
- Lung clearance index in adults and children with cystic fibrosis.Chest. 2016; 150: 1323-1332https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2016.06.029
- An overview of endpoints for cystic fibrosis clinical trials: one size does not fit all.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2007; 4: 299-301https://doi.org/10.1513/pats.200611-178HT
- Physiologic endpoints for clinical studies for cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2016; 15: 416-423https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2016.05.014
- Innovating cystic fibrosis clinical trial designs in an era of successful standard of care therapies.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2017; 23: 530-535https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2017.03.040
- Multiple breath inert gas washout as a measure of ventilation distribution in children with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2004; 59: 1068-1073https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2004.022590
- Reduced bacterial colony count of anaerobic bacteria is associated with a worsening in lung clearance index and inflammation in cystic fibrosis.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0126980
- Lung clearance index is a sensitive, repeatable and practical measure of airways disease in adults with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2008; 63: 135-140https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2007.082628
- Lung clearance index at 4 years predicts subsequent lung function in children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 183: 752-758https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200911-1646OC
- Lung clearance index is a repeatable and sensitive indicator of radiological changes in bronchiectasis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 586-592https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201310-1747OC
- Lung clearance index: normal values, repeatability, and reproducibility in healthy children and adolescents.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009; 44: 1180-1185https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.21093
- Normative data for multiple breath washout outcomes in school-aged Caucasian children.Eur Respir J. 2020; 55https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01302-2019
- Lung clearance index: evidence for use in clinical trials in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13: 123-138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2013.09.005
- How small is big: sample size and skewness.Assessment. 2018; 25: 793-800https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191116669784
- Points to consider on adjustment for baseline covariates.2003 (London)
- The effect of dornase alfa on ventilation inhomogeneity in patients with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2011; 37: 806-812https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00072510
- A phase 3 open-label study of elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor in children 6 through 11 years of age with cystic fibrosis and at least one F508del allele.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 203: 1522-1532https://doi.org/10.1164/RCCM.202102-0509OC/SUPPL_FILE/DISCLOSURES.PDF
- Inter-test reproducibility of the lung clearance index measured by multiple breath washout.Eur Respir J. 2017; 50https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00433-2017
- Preschool multiple-breath washout testing an official American thoracic society technical statement.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018; 197: e1-19https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201801-0074ST
- Lung clearance index to track acute respiratory events in school-age children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202006-2433oc
- Is lung clearance index (LCI) affected by the severity of lung disease in CF?.J Pulm Respir Med. 2017; 07: 1-7https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-105x.1000392
- Inhaled hypertonic saline in preschool children with cystic fibrosis (SHIP): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2019; 7: 802-809https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30187-0
- Lung clearance index and steroid response in pediatric severe asthma.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 890-898https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24675
- A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the lung clearance index as an outcome measure for early phase studies in patients with cystic fibrosis.Respir Med. 2016; 112: 59-64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2016.01.020
- Progression of lung disease in preschool patients with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 1216-1225https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201610-2158OC
- Determinants of lung disease progression measured by lung clearance index in children with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2021; 58https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.03380-2020
- Longitudinal course of clinical lung clearance index in children with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2020; (2002686)https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.02686-2020
- Variability of lung clearance index in clinically stable cystic fibrosis lung disease in school age children.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 236-241https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2017.08.004
- Correction of sensor crosstalk error in Exhalyzer D multiple-breath washout device significantly impacts outcomes in children with cystic fibrosis.J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol. 2021; 131: 1148-1156https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00338.2021
- Impact of cross-sensitivity error correction on representative nitrogen-based multiple breath washout data from clinical trials.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2021.08.033
- Integrating the multiple breath washout test into international multicentre trials.J Cyst Fibros. 2020; 19: 602-607https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2019.11.006
- Hypertonic saline improves the LCI in paediatric patients with CF with normal lung function.ThoraxThorax. 2010; 65: 379-383https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.125831
- Lung clearance index as an outcome measure for clinical trials in young children with cystic fibrosis. A pilot study using inhaled hypertonic saline.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 456-460https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201302-0219OC
- Assessment of clinical response to ivacaftor with lung clearance index in cystic fibrosis patients with a G551D-CFTR mutation and preserved spirometry: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2013; 1: 630-638https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(13)70182-6
- Lung clearance index to monitor treatment response in pulmonary exacerbations in preschool children with cystic fibrosis Cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2018; 73: 451-458https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2017-210979
- Withdrawal of dornase alfa increases ventilation inhomogeneity in children with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2021.02.004
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
✰This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.