- •Increased population diversity in North America as well as carrier screening can impact incidence rates of cystic fibrosis (CF).
- •The widespread availability of newborn screening has shifted the timing of diagnosis which may impact decisions on future pregnancies.
- •National estimates are changing over time with significant variability between regions within countries.
- •Population diversity is likely contributing to varying incidence rates however, it does not fully explain the decreasing rates over time.
Abbreviations:CCFR (Canadian CF Registry), CDC (Center for Disease Control), CF (cystic fibrosis), CFFPR (CF Foundation Patient Registry), CFTR (cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulatory protein), CI (confidence interval), CVSB (Canadian Vital Statistics Birth database), NBS (newborn screening), US (United States)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Changing Epidemiology of Cystic Fibrosis: Incidence, Survival and Impact of the CFTR Gene Discovery.Genes (Basel). 2020; 11
- Cystic fibrosis birth rates in Canada: a decreasing trend since the onset of genetic testing.J Pediatr. 2005; 147: 312-315
- Newborn screening for cystic fibrosis in Alberta: Two years of experience.Paediatr Child Health. 2010; 15: 590-594
- The incidence of cystic fibrosis.Stat Med. 1996; 15: 449-462
- Association between carrier screening and incidence of cystic fibrosis.JAMA. 2009; 302: 2573-2579
- The impact of a national population carrier screening program on cystic fibrosis birth rate and age at diagnosis: Implications for newborn screening.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2016; 15: 460-466
- Newborn Screening for CF across the Globe-Where Is It Worthwhile?.Int J Neonatal Screen. 2020; 6: 18
- Ethnicity impacts the cystic fibrosis diagnosis: A note of caution.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2017; 16: 488-491
- Don't judge a book by its cover: the emerging challenge of diagnosing CF in non-Caucasians.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2017; 16: 439-440
- Retrospective estimation of the birth prevalence for delayed onset disorders: application to cystic fibrosis in Nova Scotia.Stat Med. 2000; 19: 743-751
- Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis: Consensus Guidelines from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.J Pediatr. 2017; 181s (e11): S4-S15
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry. Design and Methods of a National Observational Disease Registry.Ann Am Thoracic Soc. 2016; 13: 1173-1179
- Cystic fibrosis carrier screening in a North American population.Genetics Med. 2014; 16: 539-546
Health CAfDaTi. Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis: A Review of the Clinical and Cost Effectiveness. 2012.
- Utility of a very high IRT/No mutation referral category in cystic fibrosis newborn screening.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2015; 50: 771-780
- Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis in California.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 1062-1072
- Performance of a Three-Tier (IRT-DNA-IRT) Cystic Fibrosis Screening Algorithm in British Columbia.Int J Neonatal Screen. 2020; 6: 46
- Clinical and Genotypical Features of False-Negative Patients in 26 Years of Cystic Fibrosis Neonatal Screening in Tuscany, Italy.Diagnostics (Basel). 2020; 10
- Newborn screening showing decreasing incidence of cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 973-974
- Changing incidence of cystic fibrosis in Wisconsin, USA.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2015; 50: 1065-1072
- Evidence for decline in the incidence of cystic fibrosis: a 35-year observational study in Brittany, France.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2012; 7: 14
- Cystic fibrosis in Canadian Hutterites.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 526-532
Foundation CF. Cystic Fibrosis Patient Data Registry Report. Bethesda, Maryland, USA2020.
- Normal pancreatic function and false-negative CF newborn screen in a child born to a mother taking CFTR modulator therapy during pregnancy.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2021; 20: 835-836
- Outcomes of infants with indeterminate diagnosis detected by cystic fibrosis newborn screening.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: e1386-e1392
- Disparities in first evaluation of infants with cystic fibrosis since implementation of newborn screening.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2022;