- •After 6 months of ETI there is modest improvement in gastrointestinal symptoms in people with CF.
- •ETI reduces markers of intestinal inflammation after 6 months.
- •In CF >12 years of age, there was no improvement in fecal elastase after 6 months of ETI.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CF (cystic fibrosis), CFTR (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator), ETI (elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor), FEV1pp (forced expiratory volume in 1 second percent predicted), GI (gastrointestinal), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), PAGI-SYM (patient assessment of upper gastrointestinal disorders-symptom severity index), PAC-SYM (patient assessment of constipation-symptom severity index), PAC-QOL (patient assessment of constipation-quality of life), PROM (patient reported outcome measure), PwCF (people with cystic fibrosis), S (supplemental), SSQ (stool-specific questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1992-2001
- Gastrointestinal complications of cystic fibrosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 11 (quiz e30-1): 333-342
- Gastrointestinal outcomes and confounders in cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005; 41: 273-285
- Abdominal symptoms in cystic fibrosis and their relation to genotype, history, clinical and laboratory findings.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0174463
- A new era in the treatment of cystic fibrosis: correction of the underlying CFTR defect.Lancet Respir Med. 2013; 1: 158-163
- VX-445-tezacaftor-ivacaftor in patients with cystic fibrosis and one or two phe508del alleles.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1612-1620
- PROMISE: working with the CF community to understand emerging clinical and research needs for those treated with highly effective CFTR modulator therapy.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: 205-212
- Intestinal complications of cystic fibrosis.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2013; 19: 676-680
- Gastrointestinal factors associated with hospitalization in infants with cystic fibrosis: results from the baby observational and nutrition study.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2021; 73: 395-402
- Clinical effectiveness of elexacaftor/tezacftor/ivacaftor in people with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021;
- Development and psychometric evaluation of the patient assessment of upper gastrointestinal symptom severity index (PAGI-SYM) in patients with upper gastrointestinal disorders.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 1737-1749
- Laxative inadequate relief survey G. confirmatory factor analysis of the patient assessment of constipation-symptoms (PAC-SYM) among patients with chronic constipation.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 1597-1605
- Cross-cultural development and validation of a patient self-administered questionnaire to assess quality of life in upper gastrointestinal disorders: the PAGI-QOL.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 1751-1762
- Utilization of electronic patient-reported outcome measures in cystic fibrosis research: application to the GALAXY study.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: 605-611
- The PAC-SYM questionnaire for chronic constipation: defining the minimal important difference.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017; 46: 1103-1111
- The acid steatocrit: a much improved method.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1994; 19: 299-303
- Acid steatocrit: a reliable screening tool for steatorrhoea.Acta Paediatr. 2001; 90: 873-875
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing Vienna, Austria.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2020 ([Available from)
- Impact of CFTR modulation with Ivacaftor on Gut Microbiota and Intestinal Inflammation.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 17834
- Variability of fecal pancreatic elastase measurements in cystic fibrosis patients.J Cyst Fibros. 2002; 1: 265-268
- Elexacaftor-tezacaftor-ivacaftor treatment reduces abdominal symptoms in cystic fibrosis-early results obtained with the CF-specific CFAbd-score.Front Pharmacol. 2022; 13877118
- Intestinal inflammation is a frequent feature of cystic fibrosis and is reduced by probiotic administration.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 20: 813-819
- Abdominal symptoms assessed with the CFAbd-score are associated with intestinal inflammation in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2022; 74: 355-360
- Ivacaftor treatment of cystic fibrosis in children aged 12 to <24 months and with a CFTR gating mutation (ARRIVAL): a phase 3 single-arm study.Lancet Respir Med. 2018; 6: 545-553
- An open-label extension study of ivacaftor in children with CF and a CFTR gating mutation initiating treatment at age 2-5years (KLIMB).J Cyst Fibros. 2019; 18: 838-843
- Restoration of exocrine pancreatic function in older children with cystic fibrosis on ivacaftor.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2020; 35: 99-102
- Intestinal pH and gastrointestinal transit profiles in cystic fibrosis patients measured by wireless motility capsule.Dig Dis Sci. 2013; 58: 2275-2281
- Energy balance and mechanisms of weight gain with ivacaftor treatment of cystic fibrosis gating mutations.J Pediatr. 2018; 201 (e4): 229-237
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
☆Results were previously presented at the North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference in 2020 and 2021.