- •Limited treatment options have been explored for CF related bone disease.
- •We demonstrated elevated RANKL, decreased OPG and elevated RANKL/OPG in people with CF relative to healthy controls.
- •We also show elevated RANKL/OPG in people with CF bone disease versus those without bone disease.
- •The RANKL/OPG difference persisted after adjusting for a number of variables known to impact bone health and may be a useful marker for low bone density in CF.
- •Further evaluation of the safety and efficacy of antiresorptive agents that target RANKL such as denosumab is warranted.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The prevalence of osteoporosis, osteopenia, and fractures among adults with cystic fibrosis: a systematic literature review with meta-analysis.Calcif Tissue Int. 2010; 86: 1-7
- Guide to bone health and disease in cystic fibrosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 1888-1896
- Osteoporosis and osteopenia in adults and adolescents with cystic fibrosis: prevalence and associated factors.Thorax. 2000; 55: 798-804
- Bone density, body composition, and inflammatory status in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162: 789-794
- Osteoporosis in patients with cystic fibrosis.Clin Chest Med. 1998; 19: 555-567
- Cystic fibrosis bone disease treatment: current knowledge and future directions.J Cyst Fibros. 2019; 18: S56-S65
- Osteoprotegerin: a novel secreted protein involved in the regulation of bone density.Cell. 1997; 89: 309-319
- Functions of RANKL/RANK/OPG in bone modeling and remodeling.Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008; 473: 139-146
- CLINICAL Review #: the role of receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB (RANK)/RANK ligand/osteoprotegerin: clinical implications.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 4514-4521
- Serum RANKL, osteoprotegerin (OPG) and RANKL/OPG ratio in children with systemic lupus erythematosus.Lupus. 2019; 28: 1233-1242
- Denosumab in postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 821-831
- Baseline RANKL:OPG ratio and markers of bone and cartilage degradation predict annual radiological progression over 11 years in rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 1623-1628
- The RANKL/OPG system is activated in inflammatory bowel disease and relates to the state of bone loss.Gut. 2005; 54: 479-487
- Clinical implications of the osteoprotegerin/RANKL/RANK system for bone and vascular diseases.JAMA. 2004; 292: 490-495
- Osteoblast CFTR inactivation reduces differentiation and osteoprotegerin expression in a mouse model of cystic fibrosis-related bone disease.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e80098
- Overexpression of RANKL in osteoblasts: a possible mechanism of susceptibility to bone disease in cystic fibrosis.J Pathol. 2016; 240: 50-60
- Cystic fibrosis and bone disease: defective osteoblast maturation with the F508del mutation in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 746-748
- Cystic fibrosis bone disease: is the CFTR corrector C18 an option for therapy?.Eur Respir J. 2015; 45: 845-848
- Osteoclast function, bone turnover and inflammatory cytokines during infective exacerbations of cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2010; 9: 93-98
- The TNF and TNF receptor superfamilies: integrating mammalian biology.Cell. 2001; 104: 487-501
- RANK-L and RANK: t cells, bone loss, and mammalian evolution.Annu Rev Immunol. 2002; 20: 795-823
- Colonic dendritic cells, intestinal inflammation, and T cell-mediated bone destruction are modulated by recombinant osteoprotegerin.Immunity. 2003; 19: 849-861
- Differential expression of RANK, RANK-L, and osteoprotegerin by synovial fluid neutrophils from patients with rheumatoid arthritis and by healthy human blood neutrophils.Arthritis Res Ther. 2007; 9: R25
- IL-8 correlates with reduced baseline femoral neck bone mineral density in adults with cystic fibrosis: a single center retrospective study.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 15405
- Bone turnover markers, osteoprotegerin and RANKL cytokines in children with cystic fibrosis.Adv Med Sci. 2013; 58: 338-343
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) is expressed in human bone.Thorax. 2007; 62: 650-651
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) regulates the production of osteoprotegerin (OPG) and prostaglandin (PG) E2 in human bone.J Cyst Fibros. 2010; 9: 69-72
Denosumab prescribing information. https://www.pi.amgen.com/-/media/Project/Amgen/Repository/pi-amgen-com/Prolia/prolia_pi.pdf. 2022.
- Antiresorptive therapies for osteoporosis: a clinical overview.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2011; 8: 81-91