- •We searched the ECFS-PR for inhaled antibiotic use in pwCF without PA infection.
- •30% of pwCF not chronically PA infected were treated with inhaled antibiotics.
- •The major determinant of inhaled antibiotic use is past chronic infection with PA.
- •Over follow up, no benefit has been seen for treatment with inhaled antibiotics.
- •Randomized trials of inhaled antibiotics in pwCF without PA infection are needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Intermittent administration of inhaled tobramycin in patients with cystic fibrosis. Cystic fibrosis inhaled tobramycin study group.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340 (Jan 7): 23-30
- A randomised clinical trial of nebulised tobramycin or colistin in cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2002; 20 (Sep): 658-664
- Safety and efficacy of prolonged levofloxacin inhalation solution (APT-1026) treatment for cystic fibrosis and chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa airway infection.J Cyst Fibros. 2016; 15 (Sep): 634-640
- Inhaled antibiotics for long-term therapy in cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; (Mar 16)CD001021
- Inhaled anti-pseudomonal antibiotics for long-term therapy in cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 3 (Mar 30)CD001021
- Tobramycin inhalation powder for P. aeruginosa infection in cystic fibrosis: the EVOLVE trial.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2011; 46 (Mar): 230-238
- Colistin inhalation therapy in cystic fibrosis patients with chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1987; 19 (Jun): 831-838
- Inhaled aztreonam lysine for chronic airway Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 178 (Nov 1): 921-928
- ECFS best practice guidelines: the 2018 revision.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17 (Mar 3): 153-178
- Cystic fibrosis pulmonary guidelines. Chronic medications for maintenance of lung health.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187 (Apr 1): 680-689
Zolin A., Orenti A., Naerlich L., Jung A., van Rens J. ECFSPR annual report 2018. European cystic fibrosis, … [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2021 Nov 26]; Available from: https://www.ecfs.eu/projects/ecfs-patient-registry/annual-reports
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa susceptibility patterns and associated clinical outcomes in people with cystic fibrosis following approval of aztreonam lysine for inhalation.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2021; 65 (Feb 17)
- Inhaled antibiotics therapy for stable non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: a meta-analysis.Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2020; 14 (Dec1753466620936866)
- Incidence of nephrotoxicity with prolonged aminoglycoside exposure in patients with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55 (Dec): 3384-3390
- The implementation of an aminoglycoside induced ototoxicity algorithm for people with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20 (Mar): 284-287
- The top 10 research priorities in cystic fibrosis developed by a partnership between people with CF and healthcare providers.Thorax. 2018; 73: 388-390
Diagnosis E. Variables, inclusion criteria and definitions used by the ECFSPR (from follow-up year 2021) [Internet]. cited 2021 Nov 27. Available from: https://www.ecfs.eu/projects/ecfs-patient-registry/Variables-Definitions
- Evaluation of a new definition for chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in cystic fibrosis patients.J Cyst Fibros. 2003; 2 (Mar): 29-34
- Cystic fibrosis: genotypic and phenotypic variations.Annu Rev Genet. 1995; 29: 777-807
World development indicators | DataBank [Internet]. [cited 2021 Nov 23]. Available from: https://databank.worldbank.org/reports.aspx?source=2&series=NY.GNP.PCAP.CD&country=#advancedDownloadOptions
Guo S., Fraser M.W. Propensity score analysis: statistical methods and applications. books.google.com; 2014.
- Efficacy and safety of TOBI podhaler in Pseudomonas aeruginosa-infected bronchiectasis patients: iBEST study.Eur Respir J. 2021; 57 (Jan 5)
- Comparative efficacy and safety of 4 randomized regimens to treat early Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in children with cystic fibrosis.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165 (Sep): 847-856
- Standard care versus protocol based therapy for new onset Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2013; 48 (Oct): 943-953
- US cystic fibrosis foundation and European cystic fibrosis society consensus recommendations for the management of non-tuberculous mycobacteria in individuals with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2016; 71 (JanSuppl 1): i1-22
- Activity of tobramycin against cystic fibrosis isolates of Burkholderia cepacia Complex Grown as Biofilms.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016; 60: 348-355
- Stenotrophomonas, Achromobacter, and nonmelioid Burkholderia species: antimicrobial resistance and therapeutic strategies.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 36 (Feb 2): 99-110
- Early treatment with inhaled antibiotics postpones next occurrence of achromobacter in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2013; 12 (Dec): 638-643
- Comparative in vitro activities of meropenem in combination with colistin, levofloxacin, or chloramphenicol against achromobacter xylosoxidans strains isolated from patients with cystic fibrosis.J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2020; (Jun 10)
- Inhaled aztreonam for chronic Burkholderia infection in cystic fibrosis: a placebo-controlled trial.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13 (May 1): 296-305
- Antibiotic therapy for chronic infection with Burkholderia cepacia complex in people with cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021; 12 (Dec 10)CD013079
- Survival of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia following exposure to concentrations of tobramycin used in aerosolized therapy for cystic fibrosis patients.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2001; 17 (Jan): 63-66
- Risk factors for emergence of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2000; 30 (Jul 1): 10-15