- •Through the measurement of plaster finger casts statistically significant (p = 0.05) reversibility of digital clubbing in patients with cystic fibrosis after lung transplantation is further corroborated.
- •Measurements using the finger casts of cystic fibrosis treated with highly effective modulator therapy demonstrated statistically significant (p = 0.005) reversibility of digital clubbing in cystic fibrosis patients with corresponding, susceptible mutations.
- •The findings here suggest a previously unreported effect of HEMT. It may be anticipated that a wide variety of secondary or downstream effects, such as digital clubbing, alterations in bowel flora, or glucose metabolism, will additionally become apparent.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Le point sur l'ostéoarthropathie hypertrophique et l'hippocratisme digital [Review on hypertrophic osteoarthropathy and digital clubbing].Rev Med Brux. 2003; 24: 88-94
- Digital clubbing and hypertrophic osteoarthropathy: the underlying mechanisms.Br J Dis Chest. 1981; 75: 113-131https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-0971(81)90043-7
- Cystic fibrosis.in: Jameson J Fauci A.S. Kasper D.L. Hauser S.L. Longo D.L. Loscalzo J Harrison's principles of internal medicine, 20e. McGraw-Hill, 2018
- Finger clubbing in cystic fibrosis.Arch Dis Child. 1986; 61: 576-579https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.61.6.576
- Cystic fibrosis - clinical manifestations.In Nelson textbook of pediatrics. 16th ed. W.B. Saunders Company, 2000: 1315-1319
- Correlation between digital clubbing and pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002; 33: 332-338https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.10082
- Relationships among digital clubbing, disease severity, and serum prostaglandins F2alpha and E concentrations in cystic fibrosis patients.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1978; 117: 639-646https://doi.org/10.1164/arrd.1918.104.22.1689
- Reversal of digital clubbing after lung transplantation in cystic fibrosis patients: a clue to the pathogenesis of clubbing.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002; 34: 378-380https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.10193
- CFTR Modulators: The changing face of cystic fibrosis in the era of precision medicine.Front Pharmacol. 2020; 10: 1662https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2019.01662
- A CFTR potentiator in patients with cystic fibrosis and the G551D mutation.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1663-1672https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1105185
- Lumacaftor-ivacaftor in patients with cystic fibrosis homozygous for Phe508del CFTR.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 220-231https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1409547
- Tezacaftor-ivacaftor in patients with cystic fibrosis homozygous for Phe508del.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2013-2023https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1709846
- Efficacy and safety of the elexacaftor plus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor combination regimen in people with cystic fibrosis homozygous for the F508del mutation: a double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1940-1948https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)32597-8
- French cystic fibrosis reference network study group. rapid improvement after starting elexacaftor-tezacaftor-ivacaftor in patients with cystic fibrosis and advanced pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 204: 64-73https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202011-4153OC
- Quantitation of digital clubbing children. Measurements of casts of the index finger.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1971; 104: 166-174https://doi.org/10.1164/arrd.1922.214.171.124
- A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility.Biometrics. 1989; 45: 255-268https://doi.org/10.2307/2532051
- Digital clubbing.Circulation. 2013; 127: 1997-1999https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.112.000163
- Aggregating human platelets stimulate expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in cultured vascular smooth muscle cells through a synergistic effect of transforming growth factor-β 1 and platelet-derived growth factor AB.Circulation. 1999; 100: 855-860https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.96.11.3888
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) play a central role in the pathogenesis of digital clubbing.J Pathol. 2004; 203: 721-728https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1565