- •The organisation and implementation of a quality assessment and improvement strategy is feasible for a patient organisation.
- •The overall performance of CF centers in the Netherlands is satisfactory from the patient perspective, with paediatric centers performing slightly higher.
- •Substantial improvement was reached within two years, by implementation of the recommendations given by the patient organisation.
The Dutch CF Foundation (NCFS) developed a quality improvement program, to assess and improve quality of care in all CF centers in The Netherlands. Criteria to assess quality of care from the patient perspective were defined, and quality of care was assessed by patients via online surveys and site visits. Recommendations were addressed to all centers to improve quality of care. Most recommendations were related to communicational issues. All centers were given the quality mark of the patient organisation, although two of them needed extra time to meet the lower limit of the core set of criteria. After two years, over 75 % of the recommendations given to the centers were fully or partly implemented, showing a high efficacy of the program.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 153-178
- Improving chronic care delivery and outcomes: the impact of the cystic fibrosis Care Center Network.BMJ Qual Saf. 2014; 23 (-i8): i3
- Benchmarking improves quality in cystic fibrosis care: a pilot project involving 12 centers.Int J Qual Healthcare. 2011; 23: 349-356
- Experience of individuals with cystic fibrosis and families: Results from 70 CF Foundation accredited programs in the USA.J Cyst Fibros. 2015; 14: 515-522
- Introduction of a collaborative quality improvement program in the French cystic fibrosis network: the PHARE-M initiative.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2018; 13 (Suppl): 12https://doi.org/10.1186/s13023-017-0745-7
Dutch CF Registry 2020. https://ncfs.nl/onderzoek-naar-taaislijmziekte/dutch-cf-registry/
Published online: July 13, 2022
Accepted: July 7, 2022
Received in revised form: July 4, 2022
Received: January 21, 2022
© 2022 European Cystic Fibrosis Society. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.