- •In the lung, Orai1 expression is highest in immune cells.
- •Orai1/STIM1 colocalization is increased in asthma and CF lung epithelial, interstitial, and luminal immune cells.
- •Orai1 aggregation and activation is increased in asthmatic and CF lung immune cells.
- •Orai1 activation is elevated in CF patient blood neutrophils regardless of CFTR modulator usage.
- •Orai1 is a relevant target for reducing pulmonary inflammation.
In diseases such as asthma and cystic fibrosis (CF), the immune response is dysregulated and the lung is chronically inflamed. Orai1 activation is required for the initiation and persistence of inflammation. However, Orai1 expression in the lung is poorly understood. We therefore tested the hypothesis that Orai1 expression was upregulated in asthmatic and CF lungs.
Materials and methods
We used LungMAP to analyze single-cell RNAseq data of Orai1 and stromal interaction molecule 1 (STIM1) expression in normal human lungs. We then performed RNAscope analysis and immunostaining on lung sections from normal, asthma, and CF donors. We imaged sections by confocal and super resolution microscopy, and analyzed Orai1 and STIM1 expression in different pulmonary cell types.
Orai1 was broadly-expressed, but expression was greatest in immune cells. At mRNA and protein levels, there were no consistent trends in expression levels between the three phenotypes. Orai1 must interact with STIM1 in order to activate and conduct Ca2+. We therefore used STIM1/Orai1 co-localization as a marker of Orai1 activity. Using this approach, we found significantly increased co-localization between these proteins in epithelia, interstitial and luminal immune cells, but not alveoli, from asthma and CF lungs. Orai1 also aggregates as part of its activation process. Using super resolution microscopy, we also found significantly increased Orai1 aggregation in immune cells from asthmatic and CF lungs.
We found evidence that Orai1 was more active in asthma and CF than normal lungs. These data suggest that Orai1 is a relevant target for reducing pulmonary inflammation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cystic Fibrosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Activation and regulation of store-operated calcium entry.J Cell Mol Med. 2010; 14: 2337-2349
- P2Y2-receptor-mediated activation of a contralateral, lanthanide-sensitive calcium entry pathway in the human airway epithelium.Br J Pharmacol. 2004; 143: 91-98
- Caveolin-1 regulation of store-operated Ca(2+) influx in human airway smooth muscle.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 470-478
- Orai1 controls C5a-induced neutrophil recruitment in inflammation.Eur J Immunol. 2015; 45: 2143-2153
- CRAC channel regulation of innate immune cells in health and disease.Cell Calcium. 2019; 78: 56-65
- Nucleotide-mediated airway clearance.Subcell Biochem. 2011; 55: 95-138
- A mutation in Orai1 causes immune deficiency by abrogating CRAC channel function.Nature. 2006; 441: 179-185
- Epidemiology of CF: how registries can be used to advance our understanding of the CF population.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 297-305
- The future of cystic fibrosis care: a global perspective.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 65-124
- Cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2519-2531
- Enhanced Ca2+ entry due to Orai1 plasma membrane insertion increases IL-8 secretion by cystic fibrosis airways.FASEB J. 2011; 25: 4274-4291
- Eosinophilic inflammation in allergic asthma.Front Pharmacol. 2013; 4: 46
- Mucosal inflammation in asthma.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990; 142: 434-457
- New therapeutic targets in immune disorders: ItpkB, Orai1 and UNC93B.Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2008; 12: 391-413
- Anti-ORAI1 antibody DS-2741a, a specific CRAC channel blocker, shows ideal therapeutic profiles for allergic disease via suppression of aberrant T-cell and mast cell activation.FASEB Bioadv. 2020; 2: 478-488
- Auxora versus standard of care for the treatment of severe or critical COVID-19 pneumonia: results from a randomized controlled trial.Crit Care. 2020; 24: 502
- A SPLUNC1 peptidomimetic inhibits orai1 and reduces inflammation in a murine allergic asthma model.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2021;
- Airway smooth muscle STIM1 and Orai1 are upregulated in asthmatic mice and mediate PDGF-activated SOCE, CRAC currents, proliferation, and migration.Pflugers Arch. 2012; 464: 481-492
- Microdomain elements of airway smooth muscle in calcium regulation and cell proliferation.J Physiol Pharmacol. 2018; 69
- Role of STIM1/Orai1-mediated store-operated Ca(2)(+) entry in airway smooth muscle cell proliferation.J Appl Physiol. 1985; 110 (2011): 1256-1263
- A molecular cell atlas of the human lung from single-cell RNA sequencing.Nature. 2020; 587: 619-625
- STIM and Orai: dynamic intermembrane coupling to control cellular calcium signals.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 22501-22505
- Formation of STIM and Orai complexes: puncta and distal caps.Immunol Rev. 2009; 231: 148-159
- 17beta-Estradiol inhibits phosphorylation of stromal interaction molecule 1 (STIM1) protein: implication for store-operated calcium entry and chronic lung diseases.J Biol Chem. 2013; 288: 33509-33518
- Identification of BPIFA1/SPLUNC1 as an epithelium-derived smooth muscle relaxing factor.Nat Commun. 2017; 8: 14118
- Efficient mucociliary transport relies on efficient regulation of ciliary beating.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008; 163: 202-207
- Orai1-NFAT signalling pathway triggered by T cell receptor stimulation.Mol Cells. 2013; 35: 182-194
- Serum inflammatory profiles in cystic fibrosis mice with and without Bordetella pseudohinzii infection.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 17535
- Store-operated Ca2+ entry through ORAI1 is critical for T cell-mediated autoimmunity and allograft rejection.J Immunol. 2010; 185: 5845-5858
- ORAI1, STIM1/2, and RYR1 shape subsecond Ca(2+) microdomains upon T cell activation.Sci Signal. 2018; 11
- Septins organize endoplasmic reticulum-plasma membrane junctions for STIM1-ORAI1 calcium signalling.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 10839
- Intrinsic alterations in peripheral neutrophils from cystic fibrosis newborn piglets.J Cyst Fibros. 2020; 19: 830-836
- The role of airway epithelium and blood neutrophils in the inflammatory response in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2005; 4 (Suppl): 15-23
- Neutrophil dysfunction in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2021; 20: 1062-1071
- Elexacaftor-Tezacaftor-Ivacaftor for Cystic Fibrosis with a Single Phe508del Allele.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1809-1819
- Dysregulated signalling pathways in innate immune cells with cystic fibrosis mutations.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2020; 77: 4485-4503
- Lack of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in CD3+ lymphocytes leads to aberrant cytokine secretion and hyperinflammatory adaptive immune responses.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011; 44: 922-929
- Dysregulated calcium homeostasis in cystic fibrosis neutrophils leads to deficient antimicrobial responses.J Immunol. 2018; 201: 2016-2027
- Ca(2+) and innate immune pathways are activated and differentially expressed in childhood asthma phenotypes.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2018; 29: 823-833
- Allergens stimulate store-operated calcium entry and cytokine production in airway epithelial cells.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 32311
- Over-expression of Orai1 mediates cell proliferation and associates with poor prognosis in human non-small cell lung carcinoma.Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015; 8: 5080-5088
- CRAC channels as targets for drug discovery and development.Cell Calcium. 2018; 74: 147-159
Published online: August 10, 2022
Accepted: July 4, 2022
Received in revised form: July 1, 2022
Received: March 9, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of European Cystic Fibrosis Society.