- •Elexacaftor-Tezacaftor-Ivacaftor is a new triple therapy combination that is a CFTR modulator and has demonstrated marked improvement in lung function in persons with cystic fibrosis.
- •Triple therapy is known to cause a rash as an adverse event, and this has been demonstrated in clinical trials with a predisposition for females.
- •Previous case reports have shown desensitization, steroid therapy, and complete cessation of the drug as methods of dealing with this adverse event.
- •The immunological basis for this cutaneous adverse reaction is unclear.
- •This case reports a patient continuing the drug despite the rash with final resolution of the rash with no residual scarring or discoloration.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Elexacaftor–tezacaftor–ivacaftor for cystic fibrosis with a single Phe508del allele.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1809-1819
- Serum sickness-like reaction following initiation of elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor therapy.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 2846-2847
- ‘Triple therapy’ (elexacaftor, tezacaftor, ivacaftor) skin rash in patients with cystic fibrosis.Postgrad Med J. 2020; (postgradmedj-2020-139264)
- Ivacaftor drug desensitization.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019; 54: 672-674
- Drug allergy to CFTR modulator therapy associated with lumacaftor-specific CD4(+) T lymphocytes.J. Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020;
- Lumacaftor/ivacaftor in patients aged 6-11 years with cystic fibrosis and homozygous for F508del-CFTR.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 912-920
- Immune pathomechanism and classification of drug hypersensitivity.Allergy. 2019; 74: 1457-1471
- The p-i concept: pharmacological interaction of drugs with immune receptors.World Allergy Organ J. 2008; 1: 96-102