- •Stool consistency and frequency in the first year of life among infants with CF evolves in a similar fashion to non-CF infants.
- •Stool consistency and frequency is not associated with pain among infants with CF.
- •Infants with CF exclusively formula fed or receiving acid suppression had a decreased risk for constipation.
Abbreviations:GI (Gastrointestinal), CF (Cystic Fibrosis), CFTR (CF transmembrane conductance regulator), CFF (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation), PERT (Pancreatic Enzyme Replacement Therapy), BONUS (Baby Observational and Nutrition Study), OR (Odds Ratio), ANOVA (Analysis of variance), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Gastrointestinal, pancreatic, and hepatic manifestations of cystic fibrosis in the newborn.Neoreviews. 2019; 21: e12-e24
- Localization of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator mRNA in the human gastrointestinal tract by in situ hybridization.J Clin Invest. 1994; 93: 347-354
- Expression of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in ganglia of human gastrointestinal tract.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 30926
- Gastrointestinal factors associated with hospitalization in infants with cystic fibrosis: results from the BONUS study.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2021;
- Effect of infant formula on stool characteristics of young infants.Pediatrics. 1995; 95: 50-54
- Mothers' concept of the ideal number, colour and consistency of stools of their infants.Indian J Matern Child Health. 1993; 4: 62-63
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation evidence-based guidelines for management of infants with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr. 2009; 155: S73-S93
- Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy for people with cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Datab Syst Rev. 2020; 8CD008227
- Designing the GALAXY study: partnering with the cystic fibrosis community to optimize assessment of gastrointestinal symptoms.J Cyst Fibros. 2021;
- Abdominal symptoms in cystic fibrosis and their relation to genotype, history, clinical and laboratory findings.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12e0174463
- Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy use in infants with cystic fibrosis diagnosed by newborn screening.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2018; 66: 657-663
- Effects of diagnosis by newborn screening for cystic fibrosis on weight and length in the first year of life.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171: 546-554
- Pulmonary findings in infants with cystic fibrosis during the first year of life: results from the Baby Observational and Nutrition Study (BONUS) cohort study.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019; 54: 581-586
- Creation and initial evaluation of a Stool Form Scale for children.J Pediatr. 2010; 157: 594-597
- A revised measure of acute pain in infants.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1995; 10: 456-463
- Fecal dysbiosis in infants with cystic fibrosis is associated with early linear growth failure.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 215-221
- Validity and reliability of a novel multimodal questionnaire for the assessment of abdominal symptoms in people with cystic fibrosis (CFAbd-Score).Patient. 2019; 12: 419-428
- Infant constipation: maternal knowledge and beliefs.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1992; 31: 143-148
- Prevalence and perinatal risk factors of parent-reported colic, abdominal pain and other pain or discomforts in infants until 3 months of age - A prospective cohort study in PreventADALL.J Clin Nurs. 2021;
- Variation in bowel habits of healthy indian children aged up to two years.Indian J Pediatr. 2014; 81: 446-449
- Growth, gastrointestinal tolerance and stool characteristics of healthy term infants fed an infant formula containing hydrolyzed whey protein (63%) and intact casein (37%): a randomized clinical trial.Nutrients. 2017; 9
- Infrequent stools in exclusively breastfed infants.Breastfeed Med. 2014; 9: 442-445
- 2.1 breastfeeding.World Rev Nutr Diet. 2022; 124: 133-138
- Breastfeeding: uncovering barriers and offering solutions.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2018; 30: 591-596
- Gastric acid suppression and treatment of severe exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2001; 15: 477-486
- Retrospective analysis to investigate the effect of concomitant use of gastric acid-suppressing drugs on the efficacy and safety of pancrelipase/pancreatin (CREON (R)) in patients with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency.Pancreas. 2013; 42: 983-989
- Bacterial overgrowth, dysbiosis, inflammation, and dysmotility in the Cystic Fibrosis intestine.J Cyst Fibros. 2017; (16 Suppl 2): S14-S23
- Normal values for calprotectin in stool samples of infants from the population-based longitudinal born into life study.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2018; 78: 120-124
- The use of fecal calprotectin testing in paediatric disorders: a position paper of the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Gastroenterology Committee.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2021; 72: 617-640