- •Infants with CF develop structural lung disease early in life.
- •We investigated whether respiratory viruses contribute to early lung disease.
- •We found limited extent of structural lung disease on chest CT at 1 year of age.
- •Detection of respiratory viruses were not associated with more severe disease.
- •Episodes of wheezing and cough were associated with more severe disease.
Abbreviations:CT (computed tomography), ICC (Intraclass correlation coefficient), PRAGMA-CF (Perth–Rotterdam Annotated Grid Morphometric Analysis for CF)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Risk factors for bronchiectasis in children with cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1963-1970
- Effects of viral lower respiratory tract infection on lung function in infants with cystic fibrosis.Pediatrics. 1999; 103: 619-626
- Prevalence and impact of respiratory viral infections in young children with cystic fibrosis: prospective cohort study.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: 1171-1176
- The role of respiratory viruses in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2008; 7: 320-328
- Respiratory viruses are associated with common respiratory pathogens in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014; 49 (Jr.): 926-931
- Clinical manifestations of exacerbations of cystic fibrosis associated with nonbacterial infections.J Pediatr. 1990; 117: 200-204
- Effect of respiratory virus infections including rhinovirus on clinical status in cystic fibrosis.Arch Dis Child. 1995; 73: 117-120
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection in a murine model of cystic fibrosis.J Med Virol. 2006; 78: 651-658
- RSV mediates Pseudomonas aeruginosa binding to cystic fibrosis and normal epithelial cells.Pediatr Res. 2007; 61: 398-403
- Digging through the obstruction: insight into the epithelial cell response to respiratory virus infection in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Virol. 2016; 90: 4258-4261
- Early respiratory viral infections in infants with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2019; 18: 844-850
- Bronchiectasis in infants and preschool children diagnosed with cystic fibrosis after newborn screening.J Pediatr. 2009; 155 (e1): 623-628
- Lung disease at diagnosis in infants with cystic fibrosis detected by newborn screening.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 146-152
- PRAGMA-CF. A quantitative structural lung disease computed tomography outcome in young children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 1158-1165
- Respiratory viruses in healthy infants and infants with cystic fibrosis: a prospective cohort study.Thorax. 2018; 73: 13-20
- Is chest CT useful in newborn screened infants with cystic fibrosis at 1 year of age?.Thorax. 2014; 69: 320-327
- Diagnosis of bronchiectasis and airway wall thickening in children with cystic fibrosis: objective airway-artery quantification.Eur Radiol. 2017; 27: 4680-4689
- Quantitative assessment of airway dimensions in young children with cystic fibrosis lung disease using chest computed tomography.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2017; 52: 1414-1423
- The changing microbial epidemiology in cystic fibrosis.Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 2010; 23: 299-323
- Innate inflammatory responses of pediatric cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells: effects of nonviral and viral stimulation.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011; 44: 761-767
- Childhood infections, the developing immune system, and the origins of asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 114: 1275-1277
- Age at first viral infection determines the pattern of T cell-mediated disease during reinfection in adulthood.J Exp Med. 2002; 196: 1381-1386
- Respiratory syncytial virus-induced chemokine production: linking viral replication to chemokine production in vitro and in vivo.J Infect Dis. 2004; 189: 1419-1430
- Cytokine response patterns, exposure to viruses, and respiratory infections in the first year of life.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 170: 175-180
- The impact of reflux burden on Pseudomonas positivity in children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012; 47: 582-587
- Socioeconomic status, smoke exposure, and health outcomes in young children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatrics. 2017; 139
- Effect of ambient air pollution on pulmonary exacerbations and lung function in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 169: 816-821
- Antibiotic treatment of signs and symptoms of pulmonary exacerbations: a comparison by care site.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2015; 50: 431-440
- Assessment of early lung disease in young children with CF: a comparison between pressure-controlled and free-breathing chest computed tomography.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 1161-1168
- Association of antibiotics, airway microbiome, and inflammation in infants with cystic fibrosis.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017; 14: 1548-1555
- Predominance of rhinovirus in the nose of symptomatic and asymptomatic infants.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2003; 14: 363-370
- Respiratory pathogens in children with and without respiratory symptoms.J Pediatr. 2009; 154 (e1): 396-400
- Clinical utility of PCR for common viruses in acute respiratory illness.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e538-e545