- •Loss of lung function during late childhood remains a problem for patients with cystic fibrosis.
- •Respiratory exacerbations requiring hospitalization in early life appear to me drivers of loss of lung function later in childhood.
- •In this study we confirm that respiratory exacerbations requiring hospitalization in the first 5 years of life, together with markers of neutrophilic inflammation drive loss of lung function from childhood to adolescence.
Abbreviations:ACFBAL (Australasian cystic fibrosis bronchoalveolar lavage), CF-FAB (longitudinal observational follow-up study of the ACFBAL cohort)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ahern S., Salimi F., Caruso M., Ruseckate R., Bell S., Burke N., et al. The ACFDR Annual Report 2020. Melbourne: department of epidemiology and preventative medicine; 2021. Report No 22.
Cystic fibrosis foundation. Cystic fibrosis foundation patient registry. Bethesda, Maryland; 2019.
- Early lung disease in infants and preschool children with cystic fibrosis. What have we learned and what should we do about it?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 1567-1575
- Evolution of pulmonary inflammation and nutritional status in infants and young children with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2011; 66: 408-413
- Inflammatory responses to individual microorganisms in the lungs of children with cystic fibrosis.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 425-432
- Risk factors for bronchiectasis in children with cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1963-1970
- Diagnosis and early life risk factors for bronchiectasis in cystic fibrosis: a review.Expert Rev Respir Med. 2016; 10: 1003-1010
- Early respiratory infection is associated with reduced spirometry in children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 190: 1111-1116
- The association between Staphylococcus aureus and subsequent bronchiectasis in children with cystic fibrosis.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2018; 17: 462-469
- Aspergillus infections and progression of structural lung disease in children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2020; 201: 688-696
- Aspergillus and progression of lung disease in children with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2019; 74: 125-131
- Total bacterial load, inflammation, and structural lung disease in paediatric cystic fibrosis.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2020; 19: 923-930
- Forced expiratory volume in 1 second variability helps identify patients with cystic fibrosis at risk of greater loss of lung function.J Pediatr. 2016; 169 (116-21.e2)
- Bronchiectasis in infants and preschool children diagnosed with cystic fibrosis after newborn screening.J Pediatr. 2009; 155: 623-628
- Effect of bronchoalveolar lavage-directed therapy on Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and structural lung injury in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomized trial.J Am Med Assoc. 2011; 306: 163-171
- Prospective evaluation of respiratory exacerbations in children with cystic fibrosis from newborn screening to 5 years of age.Thorax. 2013; 68: 643-651
- Hennig S. Pseudomonas aeruginosa eradication therapy and risk of acquiring Aspergillus in young children with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2019; 74: 740-748
- Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- Lung function, bronchial responsiveness, and asthma in a community cohort of 6-year-old children.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 169: 850-854
- A class of linear spectral models and analyses for the study of longitudinal data.Biometrics. 1989; 45: 831-849
- Bayesian Model Selection in Social Research.Sociological Methodology. 1995; 25: 111-163
- Risk factors for lung function decline in a large cohort of young cystic fibrosis patients.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2015; 50: 763-770
- Relationship of Antibiotic Treatment to Recovery after Acute FEV1 Decline in Children with Cystic Fibrosis.Ann Am Thor Soc. 2017; 14: 937-942
- Probability of treatment following acute decline in lung function in children with cystic fibrosis is related to baseline pulmonary function.J Pediatr. 2013; 163 (1152-7.e2)
- The cumulative effect of inflammation and infection on structural lung disease in early cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2019; 54
- Oxidative stress and abnormal bioactive lipids in early cystic fibrosis lung disease.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2019; 18: 781-789
- Sputum biomarkers of inflammation and lung function decline in children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 186: 857-865
- Ivacaftor in infants aged 4 to <12 months with cystic fibrosis and a gating mutation. Results of a two-part phase 3 clinical trial.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 203: 585-593
- Targeting cystic fibrosis inflammation in the age of CFTR modulators: focus on macrophages.Eur Respir J. 2021; 572003502
- Aspergillus colonization and antifungal immunity in cystic fibrosis patients.Med Mycol. 2019; 57: S118-Ss26
- Longitudinal analysis of lung function growth in healthy children and adolescents.J Appl Physiol. 1991; 70: 770-777