- •As treatments for cystic fibrosis (CF) improve life expectancy, complications that increase in prevalence with age such as CF-related bone disease (CFBD) require more attention and investigation.
- •Demineralization of the bones can have detrimental consequences on the lives of people with CF, including rib and spinal fractures, chronic pain, and potentially barriers to transplantation.
- •Despite guidelines on bone mineral density screening published by organizations such as the CF Foundation in the United States, systematic screening practices across care centers has not been universally adapted.
- •This evaluation of bone density screening practices reported in the United States CF Foundation patient registry showed that in individuals with CF with less severe disease, such as higher lung function, younger age, and pancreatic sufficiency, screened was less likely than those with more traditional risks for bone disease.
- •This study highlights the need for CF care centers to create processes to ensure adherence to bone density screening recommendations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Demineralization in cystic fibrosis detected by direct photon absorptiometry.Am J Dis Children. 1979; 133: 632-635
- Increased rate of fractures and severe kyphosis: sequelae of living into adulthood with cystic fibrosis.Ann. Intern. Med. 1998; 128: 186-193
- Bone involvement in young adults with cystic fibrosis awaiting lung transplantation for end-stage respiratory failure.Osteoporosis Intl. 2019; 30: 1255-1263
- Guide to Bone Health and Disease in Cystic Fibrosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 1888-1896
- Endocrine parameters of cystic fibrosis: back to basics.J Cell Biochem. 2009; 108: 353-361
- Cystic Fibrosis-related bone disease: insights into a growing problem.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013; 20: 547-552
- Cystic fibrosis bone disease. Pathophysiology, assessment and prognostic implications.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2019; 18: S48-S55
- American association of clinical endocrinologists/American college of endocrinology clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis- 2020 update.Endocrine Practice. 2020; 26 (suppl): 1-46
- Annual data report.Maryland, Bethesda2020
- European cystic fibrosis bone mineralization guidelines.J Cystic Fibrosis. 2011; 10 (suppl): S16-S23
- Prevalence of vertebral fractures in adults with cystic fibrosis and their relationship to bone mineral density.Chest. 2006; 130: 539-544
- Bone density, body composition, and inflammatory status in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162 (200): 789-794
- Vertebral deformities and low bone mineral density in adults with cystic fibrosis: a cross-sectional study.Osteoporos Int. 2001; 12: 366-372
- Abnormal bone turnover in cystic fibrosis adults.Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 151-157
- The prevalence of osteoporosis, osteopenia, and fractures among adults with Cystic Fibrosis: a systematic literature review with meta-analysis.Calcif. Tissue Int. 2010; 86: 1-7
- The cystic fibrosis foundation patient registry. Design and methods of a national observational disease registry.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13: 1173-1179
- Using the standardized difference to compare the prevalence of a binary variable between two groups in observational research.Commun Stat-Simul Comput. 2009; 38: 1228-1234
- Comparison of nutrition and lung function outcomes in patients with cystic fibrosis living in Canada and the United States.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018; 197: 768-775
- Reduced bone density in cystic fibrosis: deltaF508 mutation is an independent risk factor.Eur Respir. 2005; 25: 54-61
- Osteoblast CFTR inactivation reduces differentiation and osteoprotegerin expression in a mouse model of Cystic Fibrosis-related bone disease.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e80098