- •Alginate oligosaccharide OligoG shows favourable safety profile for inhalation in CF.
- •QoL summary scores showed minor relative improvement with OligoG treatment.
- •OligoG may have some effect in reducing Burkholderia spp. infection.
- •Rheology analysis showed a beneficial effect of OligoG on sputum viscosity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Genome-based classification of Burkholderia cepacia complex provides new insight into its taxonomic status.Biol Direct. 2020; 15: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s13062-020-0258-5
- Antibiotic treatment for Burkholderia cepacia complex in people with cystic fibrosis experiencing a pulmonary exacerbation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 10CD009529
- Isolation measures for prevention of infection with respiratory pathogens in cystic fibrosis: a systematic review.J Hosp Infect. Sep 2006; 64: 1-6
- Nebulised anti-pseudomonal antibiotics for cystic fibrosis (Review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; (2003Art. No)CD001021
- Infection prevention and control in cystic fibrosis: a systematic review of interventions.Expert Rev Respir Med. May 2019; 13 (Epub 2019 Mar 26): 425-434https://doi.org/10.1080/17476348.2019.1595594
- Burkholderia cenocepacia in cystic fibrosis: epidemiology and molecular mechanisms of virulence.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 821-830
- Antibiotic therapy for chronic infection with Burkholderia cepacia complex in people with cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Jun 13; 6CD013079https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD013079.pub2
- Burkholderia cepacia complex: impact on the cystic fibrosis lung lesion.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. Oct 2009; 30 (Epub 2009 Sep 16): 596-610
- Prevalence of Burkholderia species, including members of Burkholderia cepacia complex, among UK cystic and non-cystic fibrosis patients.J Med Microbiol. 2017; 66: 490-501
- Antibiotic resistance in Burkholderia species.Drug Resist Updat. 2016; 28: 82-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drup.2016.07.003
- Burkholderia cepacia in cystic fibrosis. Variable disease course.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1572-1577
- OligoG CF-5/20 normalizes cystic fibrosis mucus by chelating calcium.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. Jun 2017; 44: 639-647
- A novel guluronate oligomer improves intestinal transit and survival in cystic fibrosis mice.J Cyst Fibros. Nov 2016; 15: 745-751
- Mucin structural interactions with an alginate oligomer mucolytic in cystic fibrosis sputum.Vib Spectrosc. 2019; 103102932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vibspec.2019.102932
- Inhaled dry powder alginate oligosaccharide in cystic fibrosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover phase 2b study.ERJ Open Res. 2020; 6(4)00132-2020https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00132-2020
- Alterations in mucus barrier function and matrix structure induced by guluronate oligomers.Biomacromolecules. 2014 Jun 9; 15: 2294-2300
- Oligosaccharides as modulators of rheology in complex mucous systems.Biomacromolecules. 2011 Aug 8; 12 (Epub 2011 Jul 18): 3084-3090https://doi.org/10.1021/bm200727c
- A new class of safe oligosaccharide polymer therapy to modify the mucus barrier of chronic respiratory disease.Mol Pharm. 2016 Mar 7; 13 (Epub 2016 Feb 16): 863-872https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.5b00794
- Overcoming drug resistance with alginate oligosaccharides able to potentiate the action of selected antibiotics.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. Oct 2012; 56: 5134-5141
- Targeted disruption of the extracellular polymeric network of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms by alginate oligosaccharides.NPJ Biofilms Microbiomes. 2018 Jun 29; 4 (eCollection 2018): 13https://doi.org/10.1038/s41522-018-0056-3
- OligoG CF-5/20 disruption of mucoid pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm in a murine lung infection model.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Apr 22; 60: 2620-2626
- Alginate oligosaccharides inhibit fungal cell growth and potentiate the activity of antifungals against Candida and Aspergillus spp.PLoS ONE. 2014 Nov 19; 9 (2014)e112518
- Alginate oligosaccharides modify hyphal infiltration of Candida albicans in an in vitro model of invasive human candidosis.J Appl Microbiol. Sep 2017; 123: 625-636
- A low-molecular-weight alginate oligosaccharide disrupts pseudomonal microcolony formation and enhances antibiotic effectiveness.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Aug 24; 61
- Alginate oligosaccharide-induced modification of the lasI-lasR and rhlI-rhlR quorum-sensing systems in pseudomonas aeruginosa.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Apr 26; 62 (pii): e02317-e02318https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.02318-17
- A nanoscale characterization of the interaction of a novel alginate oligomer with the cell surface and motility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. Mar 2014; 50: 483-492
- Psychometric evaluation of the Cystic Fibrosis Questionnaire-Revised in a national sample.Qual Life Res. 2012; 21 (Epub 2012 Jun 27): 1267-1278https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-0036-z
- Implementation of microbiota analysis in clinical trials for cystic fibrosis lung infection: experience from the OligoG phase 2b clinical trials.J Microbiol Methods. Feb 2021; 181 (Epub 2021 Jan 7. PMID: 33421446)106133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2021.106133
- A first-in-patient clinical trial demonstrates that inhaled alginate oligosaccharide (OligoG) is well tolerated in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients. J Cyst Fibros.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13