- •The impact of home vs hospital care is an important clinical question in the treatment of pulmonary exacerbations (PEx).
- •We assessed treatment responses for adults with CF treated for PEx with intravenous antibiotics at home, in the hospital, or both.
- •Compared to PEx treatment at home only, treatment in the hospital was associated with greater mean lung function, respiratory symptom, and weight improvements.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 2003; 361: 681-689
- Cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbations.J Pediatr. 2006; 148: 259-264
- Risk factors for rate of decline in forced expiratory volume in one second in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr. 2007; 151 (139.e131): 134-139
- Effect of pulmonary exacerbations on long-term lung function decline in cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 61-66
- Predictive 5-year survivorship model of cystic fibrosis.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 345-352
- Developing cystic fibrosis lung transplant referral criteria using predictors of 2-year mortality.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 1550-1555
- Exacerbation frequency and clinical outcomes in adult patients with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2011; 66: 680-685
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for Pulmonary Therapies Committee. Cystic fibrosis pulmonary guidelines: treatment of pulmonary exacerbations.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 802-808
- Long term clinical outcome of home and hospital intravenous antibiotic treatment in adults with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2004; 59: 242-246
- Comparison of hospital and home intravenous antibiotic therapy in adults with cystic fibrosis.J Clin Nurs. 2006; 15: 52-60
- Effectiveness of home treatment for patients with cystic fibrosis: the intravenous administration of antibiotics to treat respiratory infections.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2008; 43: 908-915
- Home versus hospital intravenous antibiotic therapy for acute pulmonary exacerbations in children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2006; 41: 744-749
- Home intravenous therapy in cystic fibrosis: a prospective randomized trial examining clinical, quality of life and cost aspects.Eur Respir J. 1997; 10: 896-900
- Home and hospital antibiotic treatment prove similarly effective in cystic fibrosis.Infection. 2002; 30: 387-391
- Location and duration of treatment of cystic fibrosis respiratory exacerbations do not affect outcomes.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182: 1137-1143
- Scientific advisory group and the investigators and coordinators of the epidemiologic study of cystic fibrosis. Treatment setting and outcomes of cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbations.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15: 225-233
- Probability of IV antibiotic retreatment within thirty days is associated with duration and location of IV antibiotic treatment for pulmonary exacerbation in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2016; 15: 783-790
Goss C.H., Heltshe S.L., West N.E., Skalland M., Sanders D.B., Jain R., Barto T.L., Fogarty B., Marshall B.C., VanDevanter D.R., Flume P.A., on Behalf of the STOP2 Investigators. A randomized trial of antimicrobial duration for cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbation treatment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2021; in press.
- Study design considerations for the Standardized Treatment of Pulmonary Exacerbations 2 (STOP2): a trial to compare intravenous antibiotic treatment durations in CF.Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 64: 35-40
- Validation of a novel patient-reported respiratory symptoms instrument in cystic fibrosis: CFRSD-CRISS.Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2013; 48: A251
- What does "occupation" represent as an indicator of socioeconomic status?: Exploring occupational prestige and health.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71: 2100-2107
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry. Design and methods of a national observational disease registry.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13: 1173-1179
- A practical guide to propensity score analysis for applied clinical research.Behav Res Ther. 2017; 98: 76-90
- Longitudinal analysis of pulmonary function decline in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr. 1997; 131: 809-814
- Heterogeneity in survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis with FEV1 < 30% of predicted in the United States.Chest. 2017; 151: 1320-1328
- Survival comparison of patients with cystic fibrosis in Canada and the United States: a population-based cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 537-546
- CFTR modulators: transformative therapies for cystic fibrosis.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2021; 27: 281-284
- Recovery of lung function following a pulmonary exacerbation in patients with cystic fibrosis and the G551D-CFTR mutation treated with ivacaftor.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 83-88