- •50% of children with cystic fibrosis (CF) acquire P. aeruginosa at 5.1 years, and 25% progress to chronic colonisation at 14.7 years.
- •P. aeruginosa chronic colonisation occurs later in life of people with CF in recent cohorts.
- •Modifier genes influence initial acquisition and chronic colonisation of P. aeruginosa.
- •CF-related diabetes and liver disease are risk factors for P. aeruginosa infection.
- •Decline in ppFEV1 increases significantly after P. aeruginosa infection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The future of cystic fibrosis care: a global perspective.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 65-124
- Cystic fibrosis: a mucosal immunodeficiency syndrome.Nat Med. 2012; 18: 509-519
- Comparison of two treatment regimens for eradication of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in children with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2013; 12: 29-34
- Genetic adaptation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa to the airways of cystic fibrosis patients.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006; 103: 8487-8492
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry- 2019 Annual Data Report.Bethesda, Maryland. 2020;
- Registre français de la mucoviscidose – Bilan des données 2018.Vaincre la Mucoviscidose. 2020;
Zolin A OA, Naehrlich L, Jung A, van Rens J et al. ECFSPR Annual Report 2018. 2020.
- Changing Rates of Chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infections in Cystic Fibrosis: A Population-Based Cohort Study.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 67: 1089-1095
- Longitudinal development of mucoid Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and lung disease progression in children with cystic fibrosis.JAMA. 2005; 293: 581-588
- Longitudinal development of initial, chronic and mucoid Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in young children with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 341-347
- Risk factors for initial acquisition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in children with cystic fibrosis identified by newborn screening.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2003; 35: 257-262
- Risk factors for age at initial Pseudomonas acquisition in the cystic fibrosis epic observational cohort.J Cyst Fibros. 2012; 11: 446-453
- Risk factors for Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in cystic fibrosis patients.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1990; 9: 494-498
- Mutations that permit residual CFTR function delay acquisition of multiple respiratory pathogens in CF patients.Respir Res. 2010; 11: 140
- Comprehensive analysis of risk factors for acquisition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in young children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 1998; 26: 81-88
- Early diagnosis of cystic fibrosis in the newborn period and risk of Pseudomonas aeruginosa acquisition in the first 10 years of life: A registry-based longitudinal study.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 274-279
- Cystic fibrosis genetics: from molecular understanding to clinical application.Nat Rev Genet. 2015; 16: 45-56
- Unraveling the complex genetic model for cystic fibrosis: pleiotropic effects of modifier genes on early cystic fibrosis-related morbidities.Hum Genet. 2014; 133: 151-161
- Modulatory effect of the SLC9A3 gene on susceptibility to infections and pulmonary function in children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2011; 46: 385-392
- TNF-alpha polymorphisms as a potential modifier gene in the cystic fibrosis.Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2014; 5: 87-99
- Exome Sequencing of Phenotypic Extremes Identifies CAV2 and TMC6 as Interacting Modifiers of Chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infection in Cystic Fibrosis.PLoS Genet. 2015; 11e1005273
- Polymorphisms in the lectin pathway genes as a possible cause of early chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in cystic fibrosis patients.Hum Immunol. 2012; 73: 1175-1183
- Exome sequencing of extreme phenotypes identifies DCTN4 as a modifier of chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in cystic fibrosis.Nat Genet. 2012; 44: 886-889
- Age of Pseudomonas aeruginosa acquisition and subsequent severity of cystic fibrosis lung disease.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2011; 46: 497-504
- Risk factors for rate of decline in forced expiratory volume in one second in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr. 2007; 151 (134-9, 9 e1)
- Risk factors for lung disease progression in children with cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2018; 51
- Early childhood lung function is a stronger predictor of adolescent lung function in cystic fibrosis than early Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0177215
HAS. Conférence de consensus- Prise en charge du patient atteint de mucoviscidose. 2002.
HAS. Mucoviscidose: Protocole national de diagnostic et de soins pour une maladie rare. Guide - Affection de longue durée. 2017.
- ECFS best practice guidelines: the 2018 revision.J Cyst Fibros. 2018; 17: 153-178
- Translating the genetics of cystic fibrosis to personalized medicine.Transl Res. 2016; 168: 40-49
- Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- Extending the Iterative Convex Minorant Algorithm to the Cox Model for Interval-Censored Data.J Comput Graph Stat. 1999; 8: 109-120
- Unequally spaced longitudinal data with AR(1) serial correlation.Biometrics. 1991; 47: 161-175
- Fitting Linear Mixed-Effects Models Using lme4.J Stat Softw. 2015; 67: 1-48
Pinheiro J BD, DebRoy S, Sarkar D, R Core Team. Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models. 2021.
Therneau TM. A Package for Survival Analysis in R. 2021.
- Pseudomonas acquisition in young patients with cystic fibrosis: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2003; 9: 492-497
- Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease: Outcomes and Risk Factors in a Large Cohort of French Patients.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 1648-1656
- Evaluation of a new definition for chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in cystic fibrosis patients.J Cyst Fibros. 2003; 2: 29-34
- Chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection definition: EuroCareCF Working Group report.J Cyst Fibros. 2011; 10 (Suppl 2): S75-S78
- Lechtzin N. Incidence and risk factors for multiple antibiotic-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis.Chest. 2007; 132: 562-568
- Epidemiology of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 681-687
- Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa co-infection is associated with cystic fibrosis-related diabetes and poor clinical outcomes.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016; 35: 947-953
- The emerging burden of liver disease in cystic fibrosis patients: A UK nationwide study.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0212779
- Genome-wide association meta-analysis identifies five modifier loci of lung disease severity in cystic fibrosis.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 8382
- Lung function over the life course of paediatric and adult patients with cystic fibrosis from a large multi-centre registry.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 17421
On behalf of the French CF Modifier Gene Study Investigators